Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) has announced that its shareholders voted overwhelmingly in favour of the issuance of CP common shares to Kansas City Southern (KCS) common stockholders in connection with the proposed CP-KCS combination.
CP and KCS entered into the historic US$31-billion merger on September 15, 2021, which will create the first single-line rail network linking the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Bennett Jones is advising CP on Canadian M&A, corporate/securities, tax, finance, employment and competition/antitrust matters. The deal team was led by Jeff Kerbel (corporate/securities) and includes:
- Harinder Basra, Brent Kraus, Eric Chernin and Annie Tonken (corporate/securities)
- Scott Bodie, Anu Nijhawan and Jared Mackey (tax)
- Karen Dawson and Mark Powell (finance)
- Carl Cunningham (employment)
- Melanie Aitken, Robert Staley and Adam Kalbfleisch (competition/antitrust)
Bennett Jones' public and private M&A practice spans all industries, and particularly those that drive the Canadian economy.