Vivek Warrier comments in Canadian Lawyer on why deal making in the Canadian energy sector can be expected to recover as the country emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic and the economy improves. Vivek says factors that could help drive this include:
- foreign capital taking another look at Canadian assets and seeing value;
- continued interest in developing areas such as petrochemical facilities and Alberta LNG facilities, driven by cheap feedstock;
- the bloom coming off the rose in the Permian shale basin in Texas;
- interest from private equity and pension funds, as well as strategic international and U.S. investors; and
- increasing interest from Indigenous groups wanting to take an equity interest in energy projects.