Sean Zweig is a leading restructuring and insolvency lawyer, with significant experience representing all types of stakeholders in Canadian and cross-border restructurings.
Sean is a partner in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group in Toronto. He acts for insolvent corporations, creditors, bondholders, boards of directors, shareholders, trustees in bankruptcy, monitors, receivers and landlords in a variety of domestic and cross-border matters under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Canada Business Corporations Act.
Sean is ranked/recognized as a leading lawyer in various publications, including Chambers, Lexpert and Expert Guides. He has had a prominent role in many of Canada’s major restructurings, including Sears Canada, Sino-Forest and Tervita.
What Clients Say
"Sources find Sean Zweig to be 'a really smart guy who understands the law and its application' and describe him as 'a really solutions-based lawyer.'"
Sean's recent public engagements include:
- Counsel to the monitor in Payless Shoes.
- Counsel to the secured lender and DIP lender in Aralez Pharmaceuticals.
- Counsel to the monitor in Forme Development.
- Counsel to the ad hoc committee of unsecured debtholders of Concordia International Corp.
- Counsel to the board of directors in Sears Canada.
- Counsel to the Information Officer in Takata.
- Counsel to the plan sponsors in Tervita Corporation.
- Counsel to the first lien lender in Postmedia.
- Counsel to the debtors in Argent Energy.
- Counsel to the proposal trustee and trustee in bankruptcy in Danier Leather Inc.
- Counsel to the first lien lenders in Nelson Education Ltd.
- Counsel to the proposal trustee and trustee in bankruptcy in Aeropostale Canada.
- Counsel to the court-appointed receiver in First Nickel Inc.
- Counsel to Noront Resources Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of Cliffs Chromite Properties in the Ring of Fire.
- Counsel to the monitor in U.S. Steel Canada.
- Counsel to the first lien agent in Connacher Oil and Gas.
- Counsel to the secured noteholders in Essar Steel Algoma.
- Counsel to the largest landlord in Target Canada.
- Counsel to the second secured lender in Bombay, Bowring & Benix.
- Counsel to the note indenture trustee in Jaguar Mining, Ivanhoe Energy, and San Gold.
- Counsel to the debtors in Lone Pine Resources.
- Counsel to the secured lenders and DIP lenders in LightSquared.
- Counsel to the debtors in Tamerlane Ventures.
- Counsel to the noteholders in SkyLink Aviation.
- Counsel to the noteholders in Yellow Media.
- Counsel to the debtor in Sino-Forest.
- Counsel to the noteholders in OPTI Canada.
- Counsel to the bondholders in Nortel Networks.
- Counsel to the noteholders and the restructured debtor in Gateway Casinos.
- Canadian counsel to the official committee in Toys R Us, Smurfit-Stone, AbitibiBowater and Cooper-Standard Automotive.