Kees de Ridder brings a client-centred approach to his broad intellectual property, privacy and commercial practice. As a registered patent agent and former computer programmer, Kees combines technical experience with legal acumen in the practical advice he regularly provides to clients in a wide range of industries, including artificial intelligence, life sciences, utilities, natural resources, banking, fintech and social media.
With discerning judgment, Kees most often guides clients in the commercialization and patenting of their technology. He advises Canadian and foreign clients on a broad range of matters, including privacy, cybersecurity, licensing, branding and IP-related transactions. Specifically, Kees has extensive experience in:
- drafting and prosecuting patent applications;
- providing patentability, validity and freedom-to-operate opinions;
- managing IP-portfolios for sophisticated, multinational organizations;
- advocating for clients before federal and provincial privacy commissioners, including in matters involving pro-active breach disclosure, investigations, inquiries and other privacy-related disputes and proceedings;
- representing clients in transactions and commercial matters to address IP, IT and privacy risks, as well as technology procurement and outsourcing; and
- advising on privacy and anti-spam compliance for public and private companies, public bodies and professionals.
Kees regularly lectures and publishes papers on IP and privacy law, and is a member of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the Calgary Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Active in the community, Kees serves on several boards, including as a director of STEM Innovation Academy, a public charter school in Calgary specializing in science and technology. Kees is also chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s Sexual and Gender Diversity Alliance (SAGDA) federal section, and past chair of SAGDA's section for Alberta.
Kees began his legal career as a paralegal at an international law firm in Paris.