“Bennett Jones' TME Group shares OMERS Ventures' commitment to the technology sector and its importance to Canada's future. They have a deep understanding of the technology ecosystem based on their long-standing commitment to the space, and provide strong advisory support for our firm's investments in technology ventures.”
- John Ruffolo, Founder, OMERS Ventures
Bennett Jones' TME Group consists of a group of dedicated legal professionals in Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton. We are focused on providing services and expertise designed to enhance the prospects of our TME clients. We deliver high quality legal services with an entrepreneurial approach.
While the TME Group offers the intimacy and responsiveness of a small firm, we also draw on the resources of Bennett Jones' approximately 400 lawyers and legal professionals for their experience in the broad range of legal matters that are relevant to our TME clients.
We develop and maintain stable, long-term relationships between each client and one of our lawyers who acts as a single point of contact. The contact person will introduce and coordinate other Bennett Jones lawyers in any specialty disciplines needed by our TME clients.
The TME industry is characterized by collaboration and networks. As long-time participants in the space, we have developed an extensive network of contacts in Canada and beyond, and we make these contacts available to our clients. Our network includes financing sources (angel, venture capital, private equity and strategic investors, investment banks and commercial banks), government agencies and professionals in related fields (accountants, lawyers, recruiters, marketing and business development experts, proxy solicitors, and investor and public relations consultants). These are people with whom we have worked over many years and whom we recommend with confidence.
Our TME Group has worked with hundreds of TME businesses over more than 20 years. We deliver that experience to every client by recommending best practices and helping them to avoid costly mistakes with customized advice. There is no substitute for the experience of having seen particular approaches succeed, or fail.
“I've worked with the Bennett Jones TME Group since starting the business. They are an integral part of my advisor team. They are more than just lawyers. They think strategically like business people, and help me anticipate and avoid potholes in the road ahead.”
- Yung Wu, Executive Chairman, Fuse Powered
We service all legal needs. If we have a conflict or do not have the required skillset in-house, we will recommend another suitable professional, and provide you with a warm introduction.
“The TME Group gives me access to the depth and skills of a large Bay Street business law firm, delivering prompt and efficient round-the-clock service, focused on the needs of my technology company. Not only do they answer the call or email any time of day or night – they provide me with a practical answer to the question or introduce me to someone who can.”
- Marzio Pozzuoli, Founder, RuggedCom
We focus on rapidly growing TME businesses, built on proprietary technology, content or information, that are intended to compete internationally. Sectors in which we are active include the following:
- software and hardware
- life sciences, medical services and medical devices
- advanced manufacturing
- film and television
- big data
- Internet, social media, gaming and e-commerce
- business intelligence
We offer legal services geared specifically to meeting the distinct needs of TME businesses throughout their lifecycle, including the following:
- corporate finance from private and public (government) sources
- shareholder and partnership arrangements
- employment, including employment agreements, proprietary rights agreements, stock option plans and other incentive arrangements
- private securities financings, including seed, angel and venture capital
- public securities financings, including IPOs, secondary offerings and PIPES
- stock exchange listings
- tax, including personal tax planning and corporate international tax structures
- corporate governance, including special committees and enhancing board effectiveness
- director and officer protection, including director and officer indemnities and insurance
- mergers and acquisitions on behalf of targets, acquirors (domestic and foreign), shareholders and special committees of targets
- takeover defences and protections
- technology contracting, including licensing, subscription services (SAAS) and outsourcing
- intellectual property protection, internally and externally, including trade secrets, patents, trademarks, copyright, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, proprietary rights agreements, non-competition agreements and licensing arrangements
- commercial partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- production and distribution agreements, including film and television
- advertising, promotion, marketing, packaging and labelling
- food and drug regulatory applications, approvals and agreements
- shareholder disputes for private and public companies, including proxy battles
- litigation, including defamation
- insolvency and restructuring strategies
- international trade, including export control
- government relations and policy
We also act for Canadian and foreign venture capital funds in fund formation, portfolio investments and portfolio exits, and for investment banks on public offerings of securities, mergers and acquisitions and other public market activities of TME businesses.
We do not compete on the basis of fees, but rather on the basis of value for money. However, our training and staffing practices mean that we are efficient and affordable. We deliver responsible client service by providing prompt, practical and cost-efficient advice to our clients. We offer customized fee arrangements to early-stage companies, recognizing their limited financial resources and potential for future growth.
“The Bennett Jones team was with me throughout the growth cycle of Alliance Atlantis. They are with me again as we are building the Blue Ant Media business.”
- Michael MacMillan, Chief Executive Officer, Blue Ant Media
Representative TME Clients