Bennett Jones has ranked the highest number of international trade/WTO lawyers in Chambers Canada, recognition and testament by clients and peers of its depth and breadth in all aspects of international trade and investment law. Our members have a proven track record of expertise in all of the elements that comprise the regulation of international business, including market access for goods, services, intellectual property and investment. Our practice is also fully integrated with the firm's extensive cross-border commercial, transactional, tax, banking and dispute settlement services.
The group was established with the objective of becoming best-of-class in Canada. Our clients benefit from the shared expertise of trade lawyers and senior advisors who can apply the sound judgment necessary for strategic decision-making in the international business and regulatory arena.
What Clients Say
A strong performer in trade remedy cases, the group also has an impressive track record in customs matters, export controls, economic sanctions and trade treaty disputes.
Our experience spans domestic trade and investment laws, international rules and treaties, and international dispute settlement in trade and investment matters. Our depth allows us to offer the most comprehensive range of legal services in Canada in relation to international trade and investment regulation. Whether clients require advice on technical border issues or high-level trade policy, treaty negotiation or international relations matters, we are able to draw on our members' unparalleled expertise in international business regulation to provide timely, practical and informed advice.
Read The Report
Canadian Safeguard Measures
Our group is led by Darrel Pearson, a recognized pioneer in this area and one of the most highly-ranked and regarded international trade and investment, customs and commodity tax lawyers in Canada. Members of the group also include a former Minister of Public Security (with responsibility for the Canada Border Services Agency), a former ambassador to the United States who was also one of the architects of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement, and a former Senior Advisor to the Prime Minister of Canada who was intimately involved in every major international initiative, trade negotiation or dispute involving Canada for more than a decade.
We provide advice and represent on matters involving:
- Customs and Border Administration including Valuation, Tariff Classification, Tariff Preference and Origin, Trade Incentive Programs
- Commodity Taxes, Cross-Border GST
- Trade Remedies including Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Duties, Safeguard Measures, Special Tariffs and Surtaxes
- Trade Agreements, Policy and Negotiations
- Investment Treaties and Disputes
- Import and Export Controls
- Economic Sanctions, International Counterparty Screening and Due Diligence
- Product Regulation and Standards, Marking and Labelling
- Foreign Corrupt Practices
- Extraterritorial Measures and Claw-back Statutes
- Government Procurement and Bid Challenges
- Defence Sector Production, Contract Security Program and Canadian Controlled Goods Program Compliance
- International Trade and Energy