Gavin Millan and Amy Verhoeff presented to NAIT's Mawji Centre for New Venture and Student Entrepreneurship. The session focused on capital-raising strategies available for startups and emerging enterprise. The presentation outlined general considerations for when different capital raising strategies make sense, including:
- traditional asset based financing—banks and credit unions;
- public share offering—prospectus/offering memorandums, subscription agreements and others;
- private share offering—subscription agreements, prospectus exemptions and reporting requirements;
- subordinated debt—debentures and preferred shares—exemptions to national instruments; and
- shareholder loans—interest rates, loan agreements and cross-border implications.